The Welsh Government says that the Families First programme must include all the following principles:
- Family-focused - Take a whole family approach to improving outcomes.
- Bespoke - Tailor help to individual family circumstances
- Integrated - Effective coordination of planning and service provision across organisations, ensuring that needs assessment and delivery are jointly managed and that there is a seamless progression for families between different interventions and programmes
- Proactive - Proactive early identification and appropriate intervention for families
- Intensive - A vigorous approach and relentless focus, adapting to families' changing circumstances
- Local - Identifying the needs of local communities and developing appropriate service delivery models to fit those needs, with particular regard to the opportunity to link with, for example, the Flying Start and Communities First programmes